ARM Equipment Roster


Jump to Locomotives Jump to Passenger Cars Jump To Freight Cars

Locomotives, Motor Cars and other self propelled equipment

Magma Railroad
Baldwin
#10
Photo 1

Baldwin DRS 6-6-1500 donated by Magma Metals Company. Originally built for the McCloud River Railroad as #29. The locomotive was built at a reduced weight from standard to permit operation on light weight rail. Purchased in late 1969, the locomotive arrived in Arizona on January 6, 1970. The engine ran in regular service from Superior, AZ to Magma Junction, AZ until 1991. The engine was donated to the Arizona Railway Museum in July 1994. Unlike many Baldwin diesel-electrics that have been refitted with EMD prime movers, this locomotive still employs its original Baldwin 608SC 8-cylinder in-line diesel engine. Some mechanical restoration work has been completed, to the extent that the locomotive is now functional. It is started periodically to maintain its operational status, and is used occasionally for switching cars on the museum grounds. Much mechanical and cosmetic restoration work remains.

Historical Photos

     
Magma Arizona #10, at Desert Wells Tank, 1/15/80.  Photo by: Bob Trennert  

Night shot of engine at ARM on July 4, 2010

  Baldwin Builder Photo taken in 1950 at Eddystone, PA as McCloud #29.  Source:  Baldwin-Hamilton Collection, Courtesy of Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Pennsylvania State Archives   Baldwin Builder Photo taken in 1950 at Eddystone, PA as McCloud #29.  Source: Baldwin-Hamilton Collection, Courtesy of Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Pennsylvania State Archives

Southern Pacific 

2-8-0

#2562

Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3

2-8-0 steam locomotive built in 1906 by the Baldwin Locomotive Company for the Southern Pacific RR. Builders number 29064. SP Class C-9 it weighs 217,800 pounds, has 57 1/2" drivers with a tractive effort of 45,470 pounds. The engine is oil fired with a working pressure of 210 Psi. The tender is a class 100-C-4 with serial number 8365. The engine was donated to the City of Chandler in August 1956 and placed on display at the Chandler Train Station. After being moved to Armstrong Park in 1969, the locomotive began to deteriorate. Since 1984, the locomotive has been cared for by the Members of the Arizona Railway Museum. The engine was placed on the Arizona State Historical Register in 1994.

Read about the history of #2562 HERE.

       
Night shot of engine at ARM on July 4, 2010.        
Homestake Mining
0-4-0
#5

Donated by the Homestake Mining Company. Built by the Porter Locomotive Company in 1923 as serial number 3290. The locomotive weighs 10,000 pounds on 23 inch drivers with a tractive effort of 18,600 pounds.  The boiler pressure is 1000 Psi of air with 6 X 10 inch cylinders.  The locomotive was retired in August of 1985 and donated to the ARM.  This locomotive was on display at the Mesa Museum of the Southwest from 1985 to 1997.  It returned to Chandler on June 25, 1997.
   
Photo of locomotive at old ARM display yard. Photo of locomotive after repainting. Photo of locomotive controls on 2-27-13.    

ARM 
Plymouth
#1
Photo 1
Built in a group of 24 locomotives for the U.S. War Department, serial numbers 4441 to 4464, this serial number 4463 was the last member of the group delivered on March 26, 1943. It was assigned number US 7595, and stationed at the Army Air Corp’s Victorville Advanced Flying School, in Victorville CA. In November 1966, it was sold to private company M. Lummis & Co of Richmond CA. It was later owned by Pacific Railroad Contractors of Torrance CA, and finally Railroad Builders of Mira Loma CA, who donated the locomotive to the museum in 1988.

Unlike many of this type that have been refitted with a diesel engine, this Plymouth ML-8 locomotive still has the original Leroi Model RX1V, 250-HP, V8 gasoline engine with a displacement of 2008 cubic inches. Power is transmitted to the wheels via a clutch and 4-speed mechanical transmission, with chain drive to the axles.

The locomotive was cosmetically and functionally restored by museum volunteers. In 2005, in honor of the locomotive’s long-term caretaker, it was named the "George E. Holt".

For many years after its restoration, the locomotive was maintained in operating condition, and was used frequently for switching cars on the museum grounds. Unfortunately, in April 2011, the integral air compressor failed, which caused extensive collateral damage to the engine’s front gear casing and radiator. Work is underway to make the necessary repairs and return the locomotive to service. The museum has purchased two stationary Leroi engines that were originally used to power cotton gins, which will serve as a parts source for the Plymouth’s engine.

Historical Photos

 
Plymouth being delivered to ARM 4/88 Plymouth being delivered to ARM 4/88 Plymouth being delivered to ARM 4/88 Plymouth being delivered to ARM 4/88  
AZ Republic
Car Mover
Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3
Manufactured by the Marmon Transmotive company (now part of Marmon Group), this Model 9000 "Switchmaster" saw service for the Arizona Republic newspaper printing facility in Mesa, Arizona.  Powered by a Detroit 4-clinder diesel engine, this car mover was used to move boxcars loaded with bulk printing paper.  Equipped with rail wheels AND street wheels, this unit can travel over the streets as well as move railroad cars.  Arizona Republic donated this unit to the ARM on May 7, 2006.  Unit is operational.
25 Ton Crane
ARMY #C-45
Photo 1

Photo 2

This 25-ton crane was built for the U. S. Army in 1943.  The unit was stationed at the Navajo Army Depot near Bellemont, Arizona (west of Flagstaff).  The unit was sold to Valley Steel and Supply Company, Tempe, Arizona where it served until 1995.  Valley Steel and Supply donated the crane to the Museum and it was delivered by the Union Pacific Railroad on June 28, 1997.

ex-C&NW E8

Photo 1
Photo 2
Built July 1950 for Chicago & Northwestern number 5022 B (units came in pairs).  Ran on the "400" trains.  In mid 1960's the steam boiler was removed and replaced with a Head End Power generator for use in commuter service in Chicago.  At this time the number was changed to 519.  When METRA took over Chicago suburban service the engine became METRA 519.  Retired in 1991.  Sold 1992 to Pacific Rail Dismantlers who numbered her to PRDX 519.  Sold 1997 to Monad Railway Equipment and numbered MREX 97.  2006 to Sonia Orlenko who moved the engine to the Arizona Railway Museum for display and storage.

Historical Photos

     
C&NW 519, at Oelwein, Iowa, 5/80, Jim Shepherd photo.

E-8 in service on the CNW line in Chicago in August of 1980

     
VT&S
Section Car
Photo 1
Photo 2
Verde Tunnel & Smelter "Motor Car" built by the Fairmont company.  This car is a Fairmont model S2-D Section Car, serial no. 144193.  It was originally equipped with a QBA Engine No. 50343.  The shipping date of the car to the Verde Tunnel & Smelter Railroad, Co. was September 8, 1937.  The present QBA Engine No. 61280 was provided by Fairmont on December 7, 1942 and replaced the original for reasons unknown.  The car, as originally delivered, had a M11563 Countershaft Drive (sprocket reduction drive), still present and a M11366 "Storm King" Wide Wind Shield (no longer present). 
PCC Trolley PCC Trolley #4607 was acquired from the City of Phoenix Transportation Department.  The car was part of a transportation display in downtown Phoenix.  Car came from the Toronto Transit Commission.  Originally, the car was numbered #4536, it was heavily rebuilt in 1990 and renumbered #4607.  Car was sold to the City of Phoenix in 1996.  The PCC (President's Conference Comittee) design was originally developed in the late 1930s as an attempt to modernize trolley service against the increasing popularity of busses for mass transit.
 
6/26/10 - Trolley being delivered to ARM. 6/26/10 - Almost home. 6/26/10 - Touch down!  
       
 
6/26/10 - Interior view towards rear. 6/26/10 - Interior view towards front. Photo of trolley #4607 in Toronto on 6/24/90  
       
5/18/12 - Restored interior. 5/18/12 - Restored interior. 5/18/12 - Restored interior. 5/18/12 - Restored interior.
       
     
Photo of car on 2-27-13.      
Milwaukee Speeder  
     
Picture of speeder on 2-27-13 Picture of speeder flatcar on 2-27-13      
         

Passenger Cars

 
Frisco
14-4 Sleeper
#6769
"Eugene Field"
Delivered by the PULLMAN Company in lot number 6769 between January and June of 1948 for the St. Louis – San Francisco Railroad, this line was known as the FRISCO. The as built configuration was 14 roomette – 4 double bedroom plan number 4153. The car was assigned to such name trains as the TEXAS SPECIAL and the METEOR. In 1967 the car was sold to the NORD Corporation and reconfigured as a rolling demonstration lab and showroom for their photographic products. The new floor plan retained the 4 bedrooms, removed the roomettes and replaced them with two display rooms and a darkroom. At that time is was named Silver Messenger. The Nord Corporation donated the car to RRE (Rail Road Enthusiasts) who operated the car in excursion service for a short time. The car was next purchased by three friends who continued to operate the car while making upgrades. The floor plan kept the four bedrooms, changed the display rooms to lounges and the darkroom to a shower and kitchen. In 2010 the surviving member of the three friends (Rudy Morgenfruh) donated the car to the Arizona Railway Museum.  The car arrived at ARM on February 3, 2011.
Photo of car in Lebanon, NJ in 2010. Photo of car in Lebanon, NJ in 2010. Around noon on 1/20/11 we see NS train 33J entering the Illinois River Valley approaching Bluffs, IL.  Second from the last car is AZMX 1456, which the crew said was going to Kansas City and the UP.  Photo by Richard Blough Photo of car in NS train 33J at Bluffs, IL on 1/20/11.  Photo by Richard Blough
       
Photo of car in NS train 33J at Bluffs, IL on 1/20/11.  Photo by Richard Blough Photo of car in Mesa, AZ on 2/2/11. Photo of car in Mesa, AZ on 2/2/11. Photo of  car arriving at ARM on 2/3/11.
       
 
Photo of  car arriving at ARM on 2/3/11. Photo of  car arriving at ARM on 2/3/11. Photo of  car arriving at ARM on 2/3/11.  
Santa Fe
Business Car
#405
 
 
Built by Pullman, and delivered to the AT&SF in January 1927, this 52' all steel Business Car was built as one (of eighteen) Superintendent's Cars.  These cars were used across the AT&SF system and were removed from service in 1966.  The #405 ended its service in La Junta, Colorado and was sold to San Angelo Tank Car in San Angelo, Texas in 1968.  Last stored at the Heritage Museum of Temple, Texas.  It was donated to the ARM in 2008 and arrived in Chandler on May 16, 2008.
 
#405 on display in Temple, Texas. #405 in Tempe on 5/15/2008 #405 delivered to ARM on 5/16/2008 Photo of the car in March 2011.  
Santa Fe
Dome Car
"Plaza Taos"
One of 6 "Pleasure Domes" built by Pullman-Standard Car Company in 1950 for the AT&SF.  Unique to the Santa Fe, the upper dome featured swivel chairs while below was a lounge, cocktail room and the "Turquoise Room" for private dining.  The car saw Amtrak service as car #9354.  It was eventually sold to Dr. Cushman who operated the car as part of the Broadway Dinner Train in Nashville, Tennessee.  After service on the dinner train, the car was stored at the Tennessee Central Railway Museum.  This car was donated to the Arizona Railway Museum in March 2008.
Exterior of car in June 2011. #504 arrival at the ARM March 2008. Interior of dome. Cocktail room.
       
View of bar. View of lounge. Photo of car in service at Chicago in May 1972 Photo of car on 2-27-13.
       
   
Photo of car on 2-27-13. Photo of the Turquoise Room in March 2014.    

Union Pacific

 Diner
#4815
Built by A.C.F. in lot number 3032; floor plan 7667157.  Delivered to the Union Pacific in April 1949.  The car was sold to Alaska Railroad in 1971, then in 2001, sold to Monad Railway Equipment.  Arizona Railway Museum purchased the car in May 2003 and was delivered to ARM in September 2005.
 
Repainted to original colors.  June 2011 Interior of kitchen. Photo of car in Alaska. Interior of dining room.

Santa Fe

Coach

"Diablo Canyon"

Photo 1

 

 

Delivered by the Budd Company as AT&SF 52-seat coach 3079 the car was one of 30 (3072-3101) ordered by the Santa Fe Railway in February of 1937. Built in lot 977 the cars were delivered from July through October of the same year. All were placed in service on the Scout. Coach 3079 was among the 29 cars sold to NJDOT in 1969 and it was reconfigured to seat 84 commuters.

NJ Transit donated the coach to the United Railways Historical Societies of New Jersey. Mr. John McMath bought the car in 1991. Mr. McMath configured the car for personal use and renamed it Coco Grove. He stripped out the coach interior and installed 4 bedrooms, kitchen, small dining area and a solarium lounge at the vestibule end. In 1996 the car met the requirements for Amtrak service and has continued to be mechanically certified. The car is the oldest Amtrak certified and operable Budd built car in the country.

Mr. McMath donated the car to the Arizona Railway Museum April 28, 2005 at 10:20 AM on track 18 at Washington DC Union Station. Bart & Jane Barton accepted the keys and accompanied the car as far as Tucson. The car was delivered to the museum by the Union Pacific on Monday May 9, 2005.

Click here to see some photos of the car in service.

Southern Ry.
Business Car
 "Desert Valley"
This car was originally built as an Office Car for the Southern Railway in the late 1800's. The car has been traced to 1901 when it served as the President's Car on the South Carolina & Georgia Railroad. In 1901 the S.C.&G. became part of the Southern Railway System and it's number was changed from 101 to 9. The latest UNVERIFIED data shows that the car was built in the Pullman Shops in Worchester, MA in 1879. The car was number 16 on the Southern when it was sold to the Phoenix Cotton Pickery. It was purchased from them in 1982 by Mr. Russell Joslin who named the car the "Desert Valley". Mr. Joslin passed away in 1993 and the family donated the car to the Arizona Railway Museum in 1995.
 
Photo of car at old ARM display yard. Photo if lounge interior. Photo of dining room interior. Photo of car on 2-27-13.  
         
         
Santa Fe
Coach
#2870
Photo 1

Photo 2

44 Seat Santa Fe Coach. Built by Pullman as one of 51 cars in lot #6734 to plan #7503. The order was entered in August 1944 and delivered in April 1947. The car entered service on the first all coach streamliner on the Santa Fe, THE EL CAPITAN, running between Chicago and Los Angeles, via Winslow, Flagstaff and Kingman. The car became part of the Amtrak fleet in 1971 receiving the number 4484. The car was retired in 1976 and sold to the Pullman Pizzeria in Las Cruces, New Mexico. Sold again to Jim Bennett of Las Cruces in 1981. This car was donated to the Museum by Mr. Bennett in 1990.
Santa Fe
Coach
"Regal Phoenix"
Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3
Built by the Budd Company as one of sixteen cars in lot number 9613 - 001. Ordered in May 1941 and delivered in March 1946 as 52 seat coach number 3166.  This car saw service on many Santa Fe streamline trains, one of which was the Hassayampa Flyer which ran from Phoenix to Williams Junction. The car went to Amtrak in 1971 and was renumbered 5236. The car was scheduled for shop work and conversion to 60 seats in 1976 but the work was never done. Retired in1977 and sold to the U.S. Air Force the car was moved to Vandenberg Air Force Base in California. The interior was mostly removed to facilitate rebuilding as a hospitality car. The work was never completed. The car was purchased by John Clark in 1990. Mr. Clark sold the car in 1993 to   Rail Preservation Inc. of Scottsdale, Arizona. The car was passed on to the museum in 1996.  The Arizona Railway Museum re-named the car "Regal Phoenix" and is continuing the re-build of the car as a full lounge.
Santa Fe
Observation
"Vista Canyon"
Built in 1947 by the Pullman Company for the Santa Fe Railroad. The car had one double bedroom; four drawing rooms and a round end observation lounge. The car was one of four built for the “Super Chief”, the extra fare streamline train serving Chicago, Los Angeles and points between. In 1956 the round end was modified to allow use of the car in mid train service. In 1994 a small buffet kitchen was added when the car went to private owners. The car was donated to the ARM by Fred & Dale Springer on March 31, 2001.
Vista Canyon parked at Nelson, British Columbia in 1995. Rear end of Vista Canyon. Interior view of Vista Canyon. Interior view of Vista Canyon.
       
     
Photo of car on 2-27-13.      
Santa Fe
Coach
#580
Donated by Valley Steel and Supply of Tempe, Arizona. Built as a coach car in 1910 by Pullman. Built as a wood car on a steel frame. The car was rebuilt around 1917 as a men’s smoking car. It was rebuilt again in  1938 as a crew kitchen / diner for use on the wreck train out of Barstow, California. This car is one of the last examples of wood car construction techniques. It retains the original composite wood and steel truck frames.  Friction bearing M.O.W. number 198993 delivered by the Union Pacific to the museum June 28,1997.
Car as delivered to ARM. First primer in 2006. 2nd primer in 2011. Being painted March 2011.
       
   
View of new paint in March 2011. View of new paint in March 2011.    
Santa Fe
Observation
"Denehotso"
Round end observation car, 1 double bedroom - 4 drawing room - 17 seat lounge. Built by the Pullman Company as one of six cars in lot number 6532 to plan 4070 for service on the Chief between Chicago and Los Angeles (via northern Arizona). The order was entered in February 1937 and delivery was February 1938. The car was sold by Pullman to the Santa Fe in 1948 when the Pullman Company was forced to give up it's monopoly on sleeping cars. The Santa Fe rebuilt the car in 1954 changing the round end to a blunt end and adding one seat to the lounge. While on the Santa Fe the car also carried the number 1853. This was for inventory purposes only. The car was retired in 1968 and donated to the Steamtown Foundation in Bellows Falls, Vermont. Steamtown later moved to Scranton, Pennsylvania and some pieces of equipment were sold at auction. This car was sold to Bill Fuehring who sold the car to museum member Mike Salwitz. The museum purchased the car from Mr. Salwitz in 1995. This car is the only remaining observation car from the original train set. The other cars were rebuilt to coaches in the mid 50's and later scrapped.  The Denehotso was placed on the Arizona State Historical Register in 1995.
   
Photo of the rear end after restoration. Photo of etched glass in lounge partition.    
Southern Pacific
Horse Car
#7241
Photo 1
Three door horse car with full opening end doors,  built by St. Louis Car Company in 1937. The  livery at time of delivery was a dark olive green with gold lettering. This was the last order of heavyweight cars placed by the Southern Pacific. In 1951 the car was converted to a postal storage car for use on the Golden State. At that time the number was changed to 4300 and the paint scheme changed to the  red over silver of the Golden State. In 1953 the car was repainted to an all aluminum color with a red letter board and the Golden State insignia on the side. In 1958 the car was again repainted, this time to the silver with orange letterboard of the Sunset route. The early 1960’s saw the color changed to the solid grey used on all of the head end passenger equipment. In 1966 the car was retired from revenue service and converted to a heavy tool car at the Sacramento shops, coming out with the number SPMW 5984. At this time the roller bearing wheel sets were removed for use on the heavyweight business cars. In the early 1970’s the car moved to Phoenix for use by the car repair forces. It was stationed for a time at the Tempe depot before moving to the Phoenix yard. The car was sold for dismantle in September 1994 to Smith and Charles Salvage. Jim Smith donated the car to the Arizona Railway Museum in 1995. The car was moved by the Southern Pacific to the museum on Aug. 23,1996.

Historical Photos

     
SPMW 5984, at Tempe Station, 1/17/81.  Photo by: Bob Trennert

SP #7241 in Phoenix yard.

     
Private Car
"Imperial Manor"
Photo 1
This 4 Dbl Bedroom, 4 Compartment, 2 Drawing Room car was built by Pullman as 1 of 9 cars. The order was placed in December 1938 and all 9 cars were delivered by July 1939. The car was originally named "Imperial Estate" and saw service on the 20th Century Limited. In 1948 the car was sold to the New York Central and the name changed to "Imperial Manor" in 1950. In 1962 the car was sold to the Illinois Central RR and renamed "Hazelhurst". In 1968 the car was sold to Midwest Travel Services and again in 1980 to Rail Passenger Services of Tucson, Arizona. The car is on semi-permanent display at the Museum.
     
Imperial Manor in original New York Central paint. Car was sold to Illinois Central RR and renamed the "Hazelhurst".  Photo was taken May 30, 1969 after car was sold to Midwest Travel Services.      
Private Car
"Adiel Morris"
Photo 1
Built by the Budd Company as one of six cars in lot number 9662 - 026 to Pullman plan 9503. The order was entered in March of 1946 and delivered in August of 1949. This car entered service on the Silver Meteor between New York City and Miami. The car was named "West Palm Beach" and also number 42 on the Seaboard. when the Seaboard Air Line and the Atlantic Coast Line merged the car was renumbered to 6627. The car went to Amtrak in 1971 and became number 2704 still retaining the name. Retired in 1986 and held at Beach Grove, the car was  purchased from Amtrak in 1992.
Private Car
"Promontory Point"
Photo 1
 
NOT ON PROPERTY
Built as the 6rmt 4dbr 6sec sleeper “Loblolly Pine” for the Chicago and Eastern Illinois railroad in 1953. Became staff sleeper number 652 in 1968. Sold to Louisville and Nashville railroad in June of 1969 remaining number 652. Sold in 1974 to Autoliner Corporation who rebuilt it to business car number 101. Sold to Missouri Pacific railroad in 1976 as  M.P. number 2. Jimmy Carter in his 1976 whistle stop campaign train used this car. Acquired by Union Pacific in 1985 with buyout of M.P. Union Pacific numbered the car 105. It served as Salt Lake Superintendents car until 1994. At times this car also carried the names "Little Rock" and "Houston" and was also number 109 for a short time. Was out of service until 1997 when it was purchased by Railcar Preservation. Car is undergoing mechanical upgrade to Amtrak standards and car interior is being restored and upgraded. Arrived at ARM November 1997. 

Freight Equipment

Anode Flat Car
AZER #7013
70-ton wood deck flat car 53’6” long with a deck area of 535 sq ft. The car is unique in that the frame largely consists of a one piece steel casting. It was built in June 1966 by General Steel Corp at Granite City, Illinois, possibly for the Rock Island. It is called a “Commonwealth” type car (the plant was formerly owned by Commonwealth Steel) and was rather ubiquitous during that period. It was used in general freight service. The SP subsequently obtained it and became part of the SP 7000xx-series. Forty-five cars apparently made up this series (unknown which SP car is the AZER 7013). The SP class designation for this car was F-70-92G. In April of 1986, it was apparently reconfigured into an anode flat car by Gunderson Industries.
Photo of car in Claypool, AZ in March 2009 Photo of car just delivered to ARM in April 2009 Photo of car just delivered to ARM in April 2009  
       
Photo of the car after 2013/2014 restoration.  Volunteer Joe Maffei takes a minute to pose. Photo of the car after the 2013/2014 restoration. Detail photo of the 2013/2014 restoration Photo of the car after the 2013/2014 restoration.
Hopper Car
R&GV #1069
Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3
Photo 4
This outside dump – Ingoldsby design 14 latch, side dump ore car was built for the Ray and Gila Valley Railroad by the Pullman Company in 1910. The 15 foot dump doors can be operated manually or with an air assist. The Ray Consolidated Copper Company has changed name and ownership a number of times in the last 100 years but the car has remained in Arizona. Donated by the Copper Basin Railroad in 2007.
Tank Car
UTLX #7682
(PDAX #1057)
Built by Union Tank Car Company in November of 1936 as car UTLX #7682.. Car is of riveted type construction with a light weight of 42,800 pounds. It has a capacity of 6545 gallons or a fully loaded maximum weight of 80,000 pounds. This type of car was built to carry non pressure type liquids, ICC class 103. In the early 1970’s the car was sold to PROTEX INDUSTRIES of Denver, Colorado. The reporting marks were changed to PDAX #1057. The car was in service until 1995 when it was sold to Busby Metals of Mesa, AZ for scrap. Busby Metals then donated the car to the museum.
   
Photo of car as delivered to old ARM display yard. Photo of car at old ARM display yard right after new paint/lettering. Photo of car on 2-27-13.    
Tank Car
GRYX #799
G.R.Y.X. #799 is a three dome - three compartment tank car. The car was purchased by the Museum from Valley Steel and Supply. The outside rivet construction car has three separate compartments used to carry chemicals and solvents. It was originally built for the W.R. Grace Company in 1938.
     
Photo of car at old ARM display yard. Photo of car on 2-27-13.      
Tank Car
SP #60157
Photo 1
Photo 2
This single dome tank car was built in 1942 for the Southern Pacific and has a riveted tank body. Donated by M.P.C. Distributing of Phoenix it was used to carry fuel oil. The car has been restored by an Eagle Scout as an Eagle Scout Community Service project.
Flat Car
SF #330219
This pulpwood flatcar was used in forestry service on the Santa Fe in northern Arizona to haul pulpwood logs to the mill. It was originally built as a GA-80 mill gondola at Cleburne, Texas in 1967. It was rebuilt under job # F-1257. Job # F-1594 saw the application of 3/16" steel plate to the bulkheads.
   
Photo of flatcar as old ARM display yard. Flatcar being used to haul SWF log car. Photo of flatcar on 2-27-13.    
Flat Car
TC&GB #304
This flat car was donated in October 2005 to the Arizona Railway Museum.  The car saw extensive service on the Tucson, Cornelia & Gila Bend.  The car currently sits on Arch-Bar style trucks built by the Monitor Company.   Ongoing investigation for history/build data.
     
Photo of flatcar being picked up by ARM. Photo of car on 2-27-13.  Car is being prepped for a new floor and paint.      
Log Car
SWF #511
Car was built by Bettendorf between 1917 and 1920 for one of the Southwest Forest Industry predecessors. Car was used to carry logs from the forest to the saw mill. This car saw service to the mill in Flagstaff and was also used on the White Mountain line to the mill at McNary. For a number of years the car was on display at the saw mill in Flagstaff with SWF steam engine number 25. Car was donated to the Arizona Railway Museum by the City of Flagstaff in 1999.
         
Photo of the car as delivered to ARM Loading logs 4/21/11 Loading logs 4/21/11.  First layer complete. Loading logs 4/21/11 Loading logs 4/21/11.  "Has anyone seen a large hook?"
         

Logs donated courtesy of Steve & LuAnne Van Der Toorn and the employees of Southwest Forest Products, Phoenix, AZ.

 

Loading logs 4/21/11 Loading logs 4/21/11.  Loaded. Loading logs 4/21/11.  Loaded. Loading logs 4/21/11.  Proud ARM crew.  
40' Refrigerator Car
SF #16811
Photo 1
Photo 2
This 40' refrigerator car was built by American Car & Foundry in 1920 for the Santa Fe to carry perishable items to the eastern markets. This car was one of 1250 built in the "W" class. This was the first class of refrigerator car built on a steel frame. The car was built as a wood car with wooden racks and ice bunkers. Cars in class RR-W were rebuilt by the Santa Fe in 1937 with steel sides and steel floor grates. After the rebuild the cars were renumbered into a series beginning at 16000 and given the class designation RR-23. The car was donated to the Museum by Cactus Distributing of Phoenix. The car is intact and retains the 1937 style ice racks inside.
60' Refrigerator Car
SPFE #459579
Photo 1
This 60' mechanical refrigerator car was built in April of 1971. The car was used to carry perishables to markets outside Arizona. Oranges, grapefruit, lettuce, potatoes and melons were loaded at docks in Mesa, Higley, Tempe and Phoenix for shipment to markets outside Arizona. The car is a model R-70-24. It had an on board diesel powered refrigeration system, which could maintain the temperature inside the car just above freezing level. The car was retired in 1995 and donated to the museum in May of 1996 by the Southern Pacific Railroad.
40' Boxcar
TC&GB #204

Originally built in 1909 by American Car & Foundry for the Denver & Rio Grande Western as a 40’ wood side sugar beet car.  This car eventually was rebuilt by the D&RGW in 1926 and sold to TC&GB and placed in service as #204 on the Gila Bend-Ajo line where it served until 1996 when it was sold to a former mine employee.  Since 1996, this car has sat in silent repose at the Phelps Dodge mine in Ajo, Arizona.
   
Photo of the car in service February 1969 Photo of car in Ajo on 6/13/2005. Photo of car on 2-27-13.  Sides have been replaced and repainted.    

40' Boxcar
SF #232493
Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3
This 40' boxcar was built as a double door car for the Santa Fe. The original number of the car was 5257. The car eventually was de-rated to a MOW Bolt Car which carried miscellaneous bolts and tools for the Maintenance Crews. It was donated the Museum by the Santa Fe RR. The Museum plans to strip the MOW silver paint and repaint the car a dark green and add the Arizona Railway Museum's logo.
60' Boxcar
SF #600197
Photo 1
60 Foot double door donated by the Santa Fe Railroad. This boxcar was one of 33 of this type built in the Topeka shops of the Santa Fe in 1964.  A.A.R. mechanical designation XM, Santa Fe Class BX-88.  Cars were modified in 1973 on job number B-2043.  Original numbers were from 37400 - 37410 & 37412 - 37439.
Caboose
TC & GB #1
This woodside caboose served the Phelps Dodge copper mine in Ajo, Arizona.  It was built in the company shops in 1944 to AAR freight car height specifications.  It was used for numerous years to provide passenger service between Gila Bend and Ajo.  One way fare was $0.97, round trip  $1.94, half price for children 6-12.  Interior configuration is unusual in that it is equipped with dual toilets (men and women).  Side doors allow for freight loading on one end.  Roof mounted tank provided water storage.  Caboose was donated to ARM by Phelps Dodge and delivery was completed on August 15, 2006.

Caboose in Gila Bend on November 26, 1976 by Bob Trennert. Photo of the caboose as delivered to ARM in 2006. Photo by Lorne A. Noyes (used with permission) of the caboose in 1967. Photo of the caboose at the end of a freight train.

Caboose and engine in Gila Bend.

         
   
Side view of the caboose. Side and end view. Photo of caboose as of 1-15-2013.  ARM Members have repainted and relettered the exterior (still working on baggage doors).    

Watch a historical movie.

Caboose
SF #999741
 
This caboose was built by International Car Company of Kenton, Ohio in April 1978 for the Toledo, Peoria & Western RR. In 1986 it was absorbed into the Santa Fe system and retired in 1992. The caboose saw service in the Phoenix area and was donated to the Museum by the Santa Fe RR directly from the Phoenix yard. This is an example of a center cupola, wide vision, model Ce-8 caboose.

Historical Photos

 
ATSF 999741, at Phoenix, 4/27/91.  Photo by: Bob Trennert ATSF 999741 at old ARM display yard. Photo of caboose on 2-27-13. Photo of caboose on 2-27-13.  
Caboose
SP #413
Photo 1
Built in 1947 in the Los Angles Shops of the Southern Pacific RR for the subsidiary Texas & New Orleans RR #512. It was retired from the Southern Pacific RR in 1982 and donated to the Arizona Chapter of the NRHS. The Arizona Chapter of the NRHS donated the car to the ARM in 1994 and has been EXTENSIVELY remodeled inside to serve as a "Crew Car' for Museum Workers. It now features a refrigerator, shower, microwave, TV, chemical toilet, lockers and air conditioning. This is an example of a model C-30-4 caboose.
Caboose
SP #4603
Photo 1

The International Car Company of Kenton, Ohio built this Model C-50-9, Southern Pacific Caboose, in April 1978.  The caboose was used in mainline service out of Tucson, Arizona until 1994.  The Caboose was last used in service on the Buckeye Local out of Phoenix, Arizona and donated to the Museum in 1996.

 
120 Ton Steam Derrick
SP #7130
 
SPMW 7130 is an oil-burning, steam-driven, non-self-propelled railroad wreck crane which was built in 1910 as Construction Number 2250 by Bay City Industrial Works at Bay City, Michigan, for the Southern Pacific Railroad (SP). The crane, then-numbered SP 620, was placed in SP service at Tucson, Arizona, in 1910. In 1934, it was renumbered as SPMW 7034, then again as SPMW 7028 in 1940, and yet again in 1969 as SPMW 7130. It remained in service based at Tucson until decommissioned in 1989. It is primary use was in connection with railroad accidents and derailments involving both freight and passenger trains on SP lines at or near Tucson, Arizona.

SP #7130 was placed on National Register of Historic Places on December 29, 2007.

Historic Photos

In service 11/76 1982 - Photo of derrick lifting derailed diesel at Willcox, AZ.  Derailment caused by torrential rains weakening the track under the parked engine.  A derailment at 0 MPH.  All 10 photos by Robert Coder. 1982 - Photo 2.  Tool car (presumed to be #7131) is behind the derrick. 1982 - Photo 3. 1982 - Photo 4.
         
1982 - Photo 5. 1982 - Photo 6. 1982 - Photo 7. 1982 - Photo 8. 1982 - Photo 9.
         
     
1982 - Photo 10. Derrick at the old ARM site. ca. 1990s      
 
120 Ton Steam Derrick Tool Car
SP #7131
 
SPMW 7131 is an auxiliary tool car which has custom-made compartments to carry tools, equipment and supplies necessary to assist operation of the crane in wreck service. This car was originally a wood deck flat car, one of several such cars constructed for the SP in 1949 by American Car and Foundry Company. It was converted into a tool car sometime prior to 1969 (records reflecting this conversion are fragmentary) and assigned reporting mark SPMW 7028A. In 1969, it was given its current designation of SPMW 7131.

SP #7131 was placed on National Register of Historic Places on December 29, 2007.

Historic Photos
     
In service 11/76 Tool Car at old ARM site.      

Private Caboose
SP #4740
Photo 1
This car was built in 1980 by the International Car Company for the Southern Pacific RR. It was used in local service based out of Eugene, OR. It was purchased as a private car by a Museum Member and is a fine example of a modern, bay window, model C-50-9 caboose.
     
6/6/2009 - Caboose gets new paint.   6/6/2009 - Caboose gets new paint.    
Mine Cars

 
       
Two 20" mine cars on display.  Photo of cars on 2-27-13.        

Back to ARM Home Page

Have questions, comments then please
E-mail the Museum Webmaster.